Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Musophobia

Although this seems like a very unusual topic but honestly, it isn't for me because I am Musophic. Wondering what it means? It is from the Latin word Mus for mouse meaning fear of mouse. There are also other words like Muriphobia or Suriphobia.
I have always been scared of rats since when I was little and it really shocking to most people who feel it is totally stupid to fear such a small creature, some even think I just fake it. I honestly can’t explain what goes on in my body whenever I sense or see one all I know is that adrenaline pumps to my brain and I cannot but start shaking, and my mouth becomes really dry and my goose bumps come out on my skin. Talking about size, there is a common western folk belief that elephants are scared of rats. So why would anyone say that I am just being stupid or something? Lol
I have tried several times to know why I have this phobia and I have come up with a couple of reasons which might not even be the real but they just might be anyway. Could it be because of their smell? I have asked myself several times, I really don’t know even if it is, it is not the main reason I guess. It might be because I have had the experience of rats climbing my legs and when I think about it afterwards I still feel the way I felt when it happened no matter the time difference. Those memories still remain evergreen in my heart. How on earth will I ever forget such an icky feeling? It might also be hereditary. Yes this is possible because my dad also dreads them, so I guess I inherited it from him then so sometimes I feel there is no cause for alarm. It has to do with my genes because experts say that it is hereditary. I am also aware that they are dangerous to the health. They carry all sorts of diseases that are harmful to man and they are extremely destructive animals. This could also be one of the reasons.
In 2007 however, I watched a computer animated film produced by Pixar and marketed by Walt Disney pictures titled Ratatouille.It was about Remy, a rat who dreams of becoming a chef and tries to achieve his goal by forming an alliance with a Parisian restaurant's garbage boy? I really enjoyed the movie with a beautiful story line. It made me view rats in a different way but I still dread them anyway. In fact, I know how they smell so before anyone else senses them in a room, I am always the first to say 'I think there is a rat around somewhere'.
Recently, I found out that rats are very symbolic to the Chinese culture .The Rat (鼠) is one of the 12-year cycle of animals which appear in the Chinese Zodiac related to the Chinese calendar, the Year of the Rat is associated with the earthly branch symbol 子. The Chinese astrological cycle begins with the year of Rat.
You wouldn’t believe the things I learnt about rat people. Rat people are expressive and can be talkative sometimes, they love to party and can be quiet at times although in rear cases. Rat people usually have more acquaintances than real friends and they revere and cherish those close to them. Once you become their real friends, they will treat you as their family. Even though they can be talkative sometimes, they never confide in anyone. With clairvoyance, intuition, perspicacity and an eye for detail, Rats are formidable problem solvers, finding workable solutions to the knottiest problems. The Rat is not romantic, but he is sensual and loving. The most interesting of all these facts is that January is the month of the Rat and I was born in January…lol. Honestly, I think I share a lot in common with rat people but still it doesn’t take the fear away. What if I am a rat? Yes very funny right? Because that thought alone sends chills down my spine.
I cannot kill a rat neither can I love them. Some people keep them as pets. I cannot even picture myself holding one not to talk of rearing one. I hope my fear goes away someday but until then I guess I have to live with it and try as much as possible to avoid them but the bottom line is this: 'rats are wonderful creatures, love or hate them'.

1 comment:

  1. wat a nice write up dear... but i got a question for u.... have u ever giving it a chance to fight ur greatest fear and try to withstand there presence???

    ReplyDelete